The Challenge of attempting to diagnose the phenomenon known as hidden caries can be difficult without the right equipment. A suspicious-looking tooth sometimes presents a treatment dilemma for dentists. Should the tooth be opened up? What if no caries is found? Should the tooth just be watched, or does that give caries more time to destroy the tooth's surface? Diagnodent® is the solution used at Altamonte Springe cosmetic and family dentist Dr. Arnold.
A changing caries model: due to floridation, caries can go "underground". While helping to improve the oral health of many Americans, fluoridation has resulted in harder tooth enamel. Incipient caries lesions that once began on the tooth's surface have now migrated below the surface.
Proven clinical results: Treatment decisions require a higher degree of certainty. The Diagnodent® laser caries detection aid removes the doubt from treatment decisions regarding hidden caries ore questionable stained grooves. The device's ability to see into occlusal pits and fissures enables dentists to treat sub-surface caries lesions with confidence.
- Permits use of minimally invasive treatments without unnecessary preparation
- For the first time, allows the quantification of caries activity over time with a precise and reliable measurement.
- Reproducible results permit checking, stabilization and documentation of caries.
- Ideal device for the hygienist to detect suspicious areas needing further examination.
- Is conservative by avoiding "exploratory" excavation of suspect teeth.
- Extremely accurate diagnostic aid. Proven to be over 90% accurate.
- Early detection of pathological changes that are undiagnosed by conventional examination methods (e.g. intial lesions, demineralization and changes in the enamel, fissure caries).
- No scratching probe: simple, fast and painless examination.
- No x-ray exposure. Practice building, revenue enhancing.